New York Toy Fair 2020

Now this is something a bit different, this is Doctor Who related I know but I know many of you like other franchises besides Who so I thought i'd go through some of the reveals at last week's New York Toy Fair which caught my attention.

Marvel Legends

There are always dozens of Marvel Legends reveals at Toy Fair and while this year most of them were comic based, there was one major reveal which I think made every cinematic fan sequel with joy! - we are finally going to be getting figures based on the live action Fox X-Men and Deadpool movies!




Many of us thought this would never happen but here we are! and they look terrific! First of all there was the reveal of Wolverine from 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' as an amazon exclusive. This figure shows Logan wearing his iconic tank top and including bone claws, we will also have a non-exclusive variant of Logan wearing his motorcycle jacket from the first film.


One thing I have to say about this line is that the headsculpts are amazing! The likenesses to Hugh Jackman on these figures and Patrick Stewart, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Ian McKellen on figures further down are just amazing and we can really see Hasbro's face print technology really coming into a league of its own.



We also have figures of Mystique and a two pack containing Professor X and Magneto. What's really neat about this set is that it includes swappable heads so you can pose the duo as either their young or old counterparts (I might just have to buy two of this set :))



We also have four figures based on Deadpool, specifically 'Deadpool 2'. The figures we've got here on Deadpool, Cable, Domino and Negasonic Teenage Warhead look so cool! particularly Deadpool! It's been I think every fans dream to have the X-Men posed on the shelf next to the MCU characters and now it looks that it will be a reality come August!





Also on display were the upcoming Black Widow movie figures which are set to be released next month.


DC Multiverse

One of the most interesting things to come from the DC line in the past year was the multiverse line going to McFarlane toys from Mattel. The first wave was released earlier this month here in the UK (I actually have the Batman #1000, Superman #1000 and Green Arrow figures, let me know if you'd like to see reviews of those) and McFarlane toys wasted no time in revealing the second wave at Toy Fair. Now this is a line i'm going to cherry pick at and only get the ones that I really like and the only ones that really stood out to me were the figures of Batman and the Joker from 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'.


These look really good! and while DC Collectibles have already released their own versions I think that the McFarlane Batman is far superior, there's a lot more detail and articulation to we might finally be able to have an Arkham Batman in a dynamic pose. The Joker however looks really good, up to the head which I don't think reflects the look in the game quite as well as DC Collectibles. But either way these look excellent and priced at only £20 I can't wait to pick them up.

Also revealed were the first two figures from the 'Wonder Woman 1984' movie set to be released this June. These figures, also from McFarlane toys, comprise of Wonder Woman in her main outfit and her golden eagle armour. To me, these figures look excellent, there's incredible detail on these figures and the likeness to Gal Gadot is superb, especially on the golden armour variant. These figures are set to be released in April, so in plenty of time for the movie to come out.



Diamond Select

Not much was revealed here that caught my attention besides the reveal of the Michael Keaton Batman statue from their Gallery line. I think this looks wonderful and im definitely going to buy one when its released. These statues retail for around £45 - £60 so they're perfectly priced statues for those who can't afford the high end products from companies like Iron Studios.


DC Collectibles

Again, bit of a pick and mix for me this year. Although I have to say the Batman statues and zombie Justice League figures do look amazing. That pack of the Justice League in their Rebirth outfits is especially tempting :) What did stand out to me however is the continuing line of 'Batman: The Animated Series' figures. Those following the range will know that the vast majority of major characters have already been made in figure form, but the good people over at DC Direct have come up with a line of 'What If?' style figures for characters that weren't a part of the animated series but look like part of it. Here we have figures of Azrael, The Batman Who Laughs, Red Hood, Talon and the Flashpoint Thomas Wayne Batman. These look great and it's a fun and imaginative way of keeping an otherwise retired line going.







We will also be getting re-releases of several previously released animated series figure, this time with added shading to enhance the animated 'feel' and, in the case of Catwoman, we will finally be getting that alternate Selina Kyle head we've all wanted for so long. These figures aren't for me as I have the originals but if you don't and want to get into this line i'd definitely say hang on for these as the shading does these figures a world of good.



And that's about it. I would mention the Star Wars reveals but I think we'd be here all day! Needless to say all of the Empire 40th anniversary stuff looks great but what i've shown here are my particular highlights and what i'm probably most likely to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Well, this is a bit awkward isn't it? I'm sure it's no great secret that I've sort of neglected the blog over these past cou...